The first day of summer is tomorrow! The weather has been so hot and humid in our neck of the woods that it feels like its been summer for a few weeks now, but I’m excited nonetheless. Summer has and always will be my favorite time of year. I love being outside and soaking up the sun, but with the sun brings the heat, so there are certain beauty items that I use to help keep my make-up and hair intact and my skin protected. So, here’s a look at a few of my summer beauty essentials!
1. bareMinerals Prime Time Eyelid Primer – I briefly spoke about this eyelid primer a long time ago, but it’s so good it’s worth mentioning again. Over the years I’ve tried many different eyelid primers. Not one of them ever kept my eye shadow from creasing or preserved the integrity of the color. Typically by the end of the day, I’d have a huge crease across my eyelid and it’d barely even look like I was wearing eye shadow. Plus, my eye liner wouldn’t stay put either, so I’d have a faint black smudge along my brow bone. To say this was annoying would be an understatement! BUT, then I was introduced to this eyelid primer and it has been amazing! My eye shadow doesn’t crease, the color stays intact and my eye liner stays right where it should. Even in the heat and humidity, my eyes look near perfect from morning until night!
2. Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss – I’m not a lipstick fan, but I do love a good lip gloss, so I was happy to receive a sample of this one in my Birchbox a few months back. The color I received was pink glacé and I love it! I don’t like a lot of color on my lips, especially in the summertime, so this provides a sheer lip color with just a hint of shimmer. My lips tend to be on the dry side, so the fact that it’s moisturizing is a definite plus.
3. The Honest Company Sunscreenn (SPF 30) - In all fairness, this is the only product on this list that I haven’t actually tried out yet. I’ve placed an order and am waiting for it to come in the mail. Over the years, I’ve always used generic sunscreens, but I’ve wanted to get away from that because of the use of icky, harmful chemicals in those products. I was particularly attracted to this sunscreen because it’s non-toxic, natural and unscented. I’ve used quite a few other products from The Honest Company with great results, so I have no doubt I’ll love their sunscreen as well.
4. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation – I’d been using the same powder foundation for years and years now. I liked it when I first starting using it, but then over the past year or so, I just wasn’t happy with it anymore. I’m not sure if my skin has changed, but it wasn’t covering as well, I didn’t like the color on me and I felt like it would melt away in the heat. I decided to take a gamble on the Tarte foundation and I was not disappointed. The color is spot on (I use the light sand), it stays put with no touch-ups during the day, I’m happy with the coverage and it contains SPF 15. The other exciting part of this foundation is that it’s formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs and triclosan.
5. Global Keratin Serum – A few months back, I went to the salon to get my hair cut and they used this product to finish off my hair style. Well, I liked it so much, that I went out and purchased a bottle for home. It smooths flyaways, adds shine and fights frizz (a must for summertime) and it smells good too. I use it on a daily basis and it’s always the last product I put in my hair to complete my hairstyle.
6. Chella Highlighter Pencil – This is another Birchbox find and I fell in love with it when I first started using it. This pencil conceals, brightens, contours, shapes, lines and defines. It can be used on the brow bone, inner corner of the eyelids, waterline, can be used to contour the face and more. My favorite way to use it is around the eyes. It helps open up the eyes and provides the appearance of making you look less tired. As far as I’m concerned, this is an all year round make-up essential.
Disclaimer: I have not been compensated by any of these companies to do a review. I’m a genuine user of these products and all opinions are of my own.
What are your summer beauty essentials?
Have you tried any of these products before?
Do you use or have ever tried using a natural sunscreen?