Honey is one of my most favorite foods! My dad used to have beehives years ago and would process his own honey. Unfortunately, I was too little to really remember or appreciate it, but I would totally love to learn how to do it one day (and maybe have my own hive!). This fabulous liquid gold comes from bees…mother nature is truly amazing!?!
I love honey in smoothies, on cereal, in oatmeal, on toast, in tea, as a sugar replacement in baked goods…I could go on forever, but I don’t want to bore you! :) Essentially…I use it all the time, for everything! It’s a delicious and a healthier alternative to white sugar. Here are some of the benefits:
- Raw honey acts as an anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal substance.
- It can help relieve a cough.
- It may promote better blood sugar control.
- It boosts immunity.
- It’s a good energy source.
- It can help heal wounds (I’ve also used it to relieve itchy bug bites).
- It’s a good source of antioxidents.
- It can be helpful for those with high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes.
BTW…I’ve also used raw honey on my face to help keep my skin free from blemishes (leave on for 20 minutes a few times a week). This stuff is so versatile and tastes great…it’s amazing!
Reference: Honey by the World’s Healthiest Foods